Making friends with the water

A few years ago I was talking to a friend about surfing and why he loves it so much, and something that he said then has stuck with me and I often think about it when I'm in the water.

And although my memory fades and his precise words fail me, he said something like this,

Sometimes surfing feels like a friendship. It can be as deep as that, which sounds like a cliché. But when you need to, you can go out in the water and just be cool and not talk and you feel better. It's not like a sport, or a lifestyle or anything, but, well, the wave's a mate.

I think it's sweet.


Photo hijacked from The Endless Bummer



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quiksilver promotes women! Hang on, what?

Cars and surfing

Laura Crane has skin in the game: a surf story in five parts*