For most of us, cars are a central part of going surfing. In Australia, cars were an historically important part of the spread and reach of surfing and surfing culture in the 1950s, 60s and 70s, when cars became mass-produced and car ownership became affordable for younger people. Photos of groups of young men and women taking off to explore the coast have become iconic. For example, I see this photo by John Witzig of Bob McTavish at Noosa all the time - in books, online and even in films. This image is even the front page image on John Witzig's website . In Australia, surfing has really significant connections to cars; historically, symbolically, stylistically and practically In a similar way to the freedom they provided to surfers last century, cars have been really important for my surfing life. Because I live in Brisbane and especially because I ride longboards, if I didn't own a car, my access to the surf would be entirely reliant on the kindness and genero...
Bec, we enjoyed your post. We still dance like that! haha have fun! Aloha, Cher and Steve
ReplyDeleteI'm the dude in the double denim
ReplyDeleteI knew I liked y'all for good reasons - folk after my own dancing heart!
ReplyDeleteGerry, I just watched that clip again and I hadn't even noticed the double-denim guy til you pointed him out. He is SO feeling it!! Yes!!
ReplyDeleteMaybe we can recreate this entire clip when I swing through Newcastle next?
I still dance like this when I have my dance parties for one. Now that I'm gainfully employed, I'm horrified by the fact that there's no disco ball in the office for Friday afternoon dance parties!
ReplyDelete