Today, last year


The last day of the winter sun
(from August 6th 2009)

"I'm sorry"

These are the words I don't ever want to hear again.

They are words that are used to express regret, apology, forgiveness, but it seems to me that they are actually connected to sadness, pain, hurt, exhaustion and anger. That they're just the words we say when there are no other words left.

They're words that I've heard both too much and not at all. They're the words that sometimes I ache to hear but that often just clang through my head like church bells, ringing through my thoughts and heart whether I want to hear them or not.

"It's my fault, I'm sorry"

"I'm sorry but that's not possible"

"I'm sorry, I lied"

"I'm so sorry to tell you this, but..."

They're words that bring you to your knees and push you down into a chair just so you can cope with hearing them. They're words that sting and punch.

They're words that break your heart.

They're the words you say when there are no other words left.

Comments

  1. Ahhh, this post.. when I read this last year things were happening in my life that was just summed up perfectly by this little heart wrenching collection of words.. but I know now and forever more, time heals

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Einstein was a surfer

I hate Noosa Heads and Surfing*

Laura Crane has skin in the game: a surf story in five parts*