Natural beauty?



A few weeks ago, I was at the beautician's getting my waxing done...

As I lay there with my legs splayed, I asked the women waxing me if she ever waxes any men?

"Oh NO! I'd never do that!" she shuddered. "And anyway, it's not natural!"

I looked at her as she pasted the thick, hot wax down the inside of my groin, pushed a cotton strip on top of it and winced as she painfully tore it back off again.

"This isn't natural either," I suggested.

She blushed,

"Yes, but, well, you know... It's different."

Whatever.

Lots of girls I know hate their body hair, saying that they just don't feel like a woman if they have it. I don't feel like that. Having hair on my legs isn't really an issue for me, but I do know that other people judge me by it and are repulsed by it, so I keep it all in check more for them than for me.

With surfing it's an even bigger issue - imagine paddling out in swimmers when you've been lax with your bikini waxing? There's been lots of times when I've been walking to the water with girlfriends and we've exchanged "Don't look at my bikini line - it's feral!!" and giggled at each other! The problem can largely be countered by holding your board carefully as you walk down the beach, and letting the water cover the rest when you wait between waves. Well, that's what I do anyway.

There have been times when I've worn my spring suit un-necessarily to cover myself during a particularly ungroomed patch, although I imagine boardshorts (if I wore them) would be fairly useful for this purpose too.

The thing is though, that I like being uncovered in the water. I like wearing as little as I can get away with, other than sun protection, but I hate being made to feel as though any part of my body is un-natural! Nonetheless, I still go to the salon and get my hair rip-torn out as often as I understand to be necessary. I don't want to be stared at and I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable and, I hate to admit, I don't want to be judged.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Einstein was a surfer

Laura Crane has skin in the game: a surf story in five parts*

I hate Noosa Heads and Surfing*